Department of Microbiology(BSC & MSC)
Bachelor of Science in Microbiology
B.Sc. (Microbiology major) a 3- Year program was started in BS 2054 with minor botany and BS 2065 with minor Zoology. The duration of the degree program was changed from the previously 3 years to 4 year from the year 2069 BS (2012 A.D). The total intake capacity is 50 (25 seats for each combination of minor subjects). This undergraduate carries total of 2000 marks including project work/thesis.
Any candidates who have completed 10+ 2 or equivalent securing minimum 'C' grade in all subjects of Grade 11 and 12 are eligible for admission in Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Biology program of Tribhuvan University.
A student who seeks admission to B.Sc. program:
- Must appear in an entrance examination of two hours duration conducted by Central Campus of Technology, Institute of Science and Technology (IOST), TU.
- Candidates securing at least 50% marks in the entrance examination are eligible to admit in the program.
- The selection of the students for admission will be based as per the merit of the entrance examination.
- Candidate must comply with all the application procedures.
Master of Science in Microbiology
The M. Sc. Microbiology programme was started at Tribhuvan University in 1990 for the first time in Nepal at the Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur.
Course Structure of M. Sc. Microbiology
The entire course is divided into four semesters within two academic years. The first semester course covers the disciplines of General/Advances in Microbiology, Immunology, Microbial Genetics, Microbial Biochemistry and Biotechnology and practical on these courses. The second semester offers track election among four different disciplines of microbiology for specialization. The four disciplines from second semester include Medical Microbiology, Public Health Microbiology, Food and Industrial Microbiology and Agriculture Microbiology with their practical courses. The fourth semester is completely research oriented that includes internship based on selected track and dissertation. In the second semester, students are required to choose one of the four different disciplines offered and continue with it through the third and fourth semesters. Students are not allowed to change the discipline once they have chosen it. The selection of discipline of microbiology may depend upon the facilities available at the department. To gain exposure, students are encouraged to go for excursion after the second semester.
Quota & Fee Structure
|M. Sc (Microbiology)||
( 4 Semesters)
Eligibility and Admission Procedures
Entrance exam for M.Sc. Microbiology is conducted by IOST, Dean office, TU generally after the results of B.Sc. Applicants must secure 50% Marks in B.Sc. Microbiology from TU or TU recognized Universities.
- The application form can be collected from the campus office or downloaded from the official site of OST www.tuiost.edu.np.
- The admission is based on entrance merit list and the IOST will publish the list of successful candidates mmediately after the entrance examination.
- Enrollment must be within the stipulated date; failure to take admission within stipulated date automatically will be passed on to eligible waiting list candidate.
- The successful candidate must submit his/her required documents/testimonials at the time of admission
Click here to download the syllabus: Sylabus MSc Microbiology
|1||Shivnandan Sah||Male||Lecturer||Department of Microbiology(BSC & MSC)||Permanent|
|2||Hemanta Khanal||Male||Lecturer||Department of Microbiology(BSC & MSC)||Permanent|
|3||Dr. Kamana Sahani||Female||Teaching Assistant / Coordinator||Department of Microbiology(BSC & MSC)||Part-time|
|4||Dhiren Subba Limbu||Male||Teaching Assistant / HOD||Department of Microbiology(BSC & MSC)||Part-time|
|5||Arjun Ghimire||Male||Teaching Assistant||Department of Microbiology(BSC & MSC)||Part-time|